The DKLS Linguistic Ambassador Award Essay Writing Competition
This competition is supported by the Ministry of Education (Download the Ministry of Education Letter of Consent) and is open to all students currently enrolled in Forms 4 and 5 in Malaysian government schools AND aged between 16 to 19 years old.
The objectives of the competition are:
- To promote and enhance the usage of English as Second Language (ESL) amongst Malaysian secondary school students.
- To cultivate and enhance the appreciation of creative writing, power of expression and the value of linguistic excellence.
- To provide the opportunity for the Gold Medallist to gain first-hand experience of the excellent education environment at the Australian National University [ANU] and the quality of life in Australia through 7-day study tour.
If you would like to participate:
- Inform the person in charge in your school [a teacher].
- The person in charge would need to register online to obtain the access code for you [one code per participant].
- Go to https://dklsaward.english.com.my/school-sign-up/ and sign up for the online writing course.
- Complete the online course.
- Write your essay and submit.
The Online Writing Course
This online course is designed to enhance students’ writing skills. It is also an excellent course to learn how to express their thoughts and ideas cohesively and coherently.
Completion of this course will enable students to:
- better understand how good essays are written
- write better for specific purposes
- qualify for the DKLS Linguistic Ambassador Award Essay Competition.
This online course consists of 20 lessons and self-assessment checks. The online writing course examines the structure of the four main types of essays; provides a revision on grammar, focusing on the parts of speech that are used to make writing more effective.
It is also an excellent course for students who want to hone their writing skills or just to learn how to express their thoughts and ideas more clearly.
The online lessons are self-guided and the writing practices can be completed during the students’ free time. Moderators will be present to motivate students and facilitate social learning via the online portal.
- A computer and stable internet access (not less than 1Mbps)
- A valid and working email address to register and receive updates about the competition
- The registration dates are as follows:
- School Registration: 1st February to 12th March, 2017
- Student Registration: 1st February to 31st March, 2017 (students are required to obtain registration codes from their teacher-in-charge)
- All students who complete 20 lessons in the online writing course are eligible to enter the Essay Competition.
- All essays must be written in British English, with a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 800 words. Not meeting the minimum word count or exceeding the maximum word count will result in automatic disqualification.
The Judging Panel will shortlist the 10 best essays for the grand prize. The writers of the best 3 essays will be invited for an interview session.
Submission of Entries:
Submission of entries must be no later than 11:59pm (Malaysian time, +8:00 GMT timezone) on 31st May 2017. Any submission attempted after this deadline is immediately disqualified.