“DKLS Linguistic Ambassador Award” Essay Writing Competition with ELS Language Centres
This essay writing programme funded by DKLS Foundation and organised by ELS Language Centers, ICT Learning Sdn Bhd and Australian National University, is an annual event that aims to support the government’s effort in ‘Driving English Language Excellence’ in Malaysian secondary schools.
It is also supported by the (MOE) Ministry of Education (Download the Ministry of Education Letter of Consent) and is open to all students who are currently enrolled in Form 4 and Form 5 (in 2018) in Malaysian government schools. In addition, the (MOE) Ministry of Education will award co-curriculum marks based on the participation and achievement of the participants. To refer to the 2017 MOE Co-curriculum Marks Recognition Letter, please download here.
- To promote and enhance the usage of English as Second Language (ESL) among Malaysian secondary school students.
- To cultivate and enhance the appreciation of creative writing, power of expression and the value of linguistic excellence.
- To provide the opportunity for the Gold Medallist to gain first-hand experience of the excellent education environment at the Australian National University [ANU] and the quality of life in Australia through 7-day study tour.
How to Participate:
- Step 1: Inform the person/teacher in charge in your school. The person in charge would need to register your school online at https://dklsaward.english.com.my/school-sign-up/ to obtain the access code for you. Only one code is given per participant.
- Step 2: As soon as you get your code, go to https://www.sunagolearn.com/registration/ and sign up for the online writing programme.
- Step 3: Complete all 15 lessons prescribed in the online writing programme.
- Step 4: Write your essay and submit your entry on or before the submission deadline.
The Online Writing Programme
The online writing programme consists of 15 lessons and self-assessment checks. It is designed to enhance students’ writing skills by teaching them to how to express their thoughts and ideas cohesively and coherently. Completion of the writing programme will enable students to:
- better understand how good essays are written
- write better for specific purposes
- qualify for the DKLS Linguistic Ambassador Award Essay Competition
- A computer and stable internet access (not less than 1Mbps)
- A valid and working email address to register and receive updates about the competition
- Google Chrome as Browser in accessing the online lessons
- Please complete your school and student registration on 02 March 2018 (cut-off time: 3pm)
- Students must complete all 15 lessons with a general average grade of at least 75% to qualify for the essay writing competition submission.
- All essays must be written in British English, with a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 850 words. Essay entries containing more than the required number of words will automatically be disqualified.
- The 10 best essays for the grand prize will be shortlisted and will be invited for an interview session with the Judging Panel.
Submission of Entries:
Submission of entries must be BEFORE 3.00 pm (Malaysian time, +8:00 GMT time zone) on 3 May 2018. Any submission attempted after the deadline will immediately be disqualified.
To know more about the competition and the essay writing programme, download the Information Packet.